The George W. Jenkins Fund within the GiveWell Community Foundation awards 88 grants to local nonprofits through the Impact Polk 2021 grant cycle.
LAKELAND, FL, (May 28, 2021) – We are pleased to announce the George W. Jenkins Fund within the GiveWell Community Foundation has awarded $756,609.70 to 88 nonprofit organizations through Impact Polk 2021. Impact Polk is an annual competitive, donor-directed grant program of the GiveWell Community Foundation with the goal of addressing community needs throughout Polk County. Impact Polk grants often support a broad range of needs, such as animal welfare, arts and culture, education, and health and human services. Visit impactpolk.org to learn more.
Applications for Impact Polk 2021 funding were received from September 11 – October 5, 2020. 123 applications were submitted, requesting nearly $1.9 million in total grant funding. The following programs received full or partial funding through Impact Polk 2021:
- 1st Veterans’ Kids Care – Youth Eyecare Services (Y.E.S.) Vision and Literacy Initiative received $5,000.
- A Woman’s Choice – Teen Impact Summer Abstinence Education Program 2021 received $5,000.
- Abounding in Faith – Camp Career & Empowerment For Girls received $5,000.
- Aerospace Center for Excellence – STEMFusion received $5,000.
- Anchor House Ministries – Transition to Success received $12,000.
- Arthritis Foundation (North Central Florida) – Live Yes! Connect Groups (Adult and Juvenile Arthritis Parents) received $5,000.
- Best Buddies – Polk County School Friendship received $5,000.
- Better Tomorrows – 2021-2020 After School Program received $1,500.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay – Comprehensive One-to-One Mentoring Programs received $10,000.
- Bok Tower Gardens – Gardens for All received $10,000.
- Bruised But Not Destroyed – Housing Program received $2,500.
- Camp Fire U.S.A. Sunshine Council – Camping & Outdoor Exploration received $20,000.
- Camp Gilead CBM Ministries of Florida – Summer Camp Scholarship Fund 2021 received $7,500.
- Catholic Charities of Central Florida – Pilot Study Utilizing Technology to Prevent Isolation in Senior Population received $5,000.
- Center for Independent Living in Central Florida – Project SEARCH: Work Force Training and Opportunities for Youth with Disabilities received $5,000.
- Central Florida Health Care – Welcome to Improving Diabetes through Informed Decisions received $5,000.
- Central Florida Speech and Hearing Center – Kid Blitz: Pediatric Audiology Clinic received $15,625.
- Children’s Home Society of Florida – Parents as Partners and Circle of Security Training received $10,656.
- Circle of Friends Ministry – Providing Low-Income Disabled Individuals Access to Necessary Skills to Become Meaningful Contributors to the Polk County Community received $5,000.
- Cypress Junction Montessori – Early Education Scholarship Fund received $5,000.
- Destiknee Place – Helping Pre- and Post-Incarcerated Women Regain Their Lives for a Brighter Future received $5,000.
- Early Learning Coalition of Polk County – School Readiness Match received $10,000.
- Elderpoint Services – Senior and Caregiver Resource Center received $5,000.
- Explorations V Children’s Museum – Camp Explorations received $10,000.
- Faith in Action North Lakeland – Great Opportunity To Serve Our Ailing Seniors received $15,000.
- Faith Without Works – Camp Compassion 2K21 received $10,000.
- FAM Church – Migrant Children After School Program received $10,000.
- Family Literacy Academy at Lake Wales – To Continue the Arts and At-Risk Children received $5,000.
- Feeding Tampa Bay – SNAP Enrollment and Mobile Pantries received $10,000.
- Florida Baptist Children’s Homes – Lakeland Family Support Program $10,000.
- Florida Dance Theatre – Arts on the Lawn received $19,025.
- Frostproof Dawgs – Literacy for Athletes 2021 received $3,000.
- Good Shepherd Hospice – Camp Brave Heart: Grief Camp for Children and Teens received $20,000.
- Gospel Inc. – Job Training Internship received $10,000.
- Habitat for Humanity of East Polk County – Sponsorship Build received $20,000.
- Harvest Assembly of God – Backpack Giveaway received $5,000.
- Healthy Start Coalition of Hardee, Highlands & Polk Counties – Beds 4 Babies Project received $15,000.
- Heart for Winter Haven – Center For Well-Being received $20,000.
- Heart of Florida Legal Aid Society – Lawyer Lifeline Legal Aid Society received $5,000.
- Heartland for Children – Respite Care Services for Families with Special Needs Children received $20,000.
- HELP of Fort Meade – Providing Family Security Through Basic Needs received $20,000.
- Hero Revolution – You Too Can Be a H.E.R.O. and Be a Champion in Life! received $10,000.
- Idols Aside Ministries – Sons Without Fathers received $10,000.
- InnerAct Alliance – UthMpact Leadership’s “Focus on Youth Mental Health” received $10,000.
- Jaylens Challenge Foundation – The Bullying No Way! Nonviolence Alliance received $10,000.
- Junior Achievement of Tampa Bay – Preparing Students for the Workforce Through Career Exploration received $5,000.
- Junior League of Greater Lakeland – Clothe Our Community received $5,000.
- Lake Wales Arts Council – 2021 Summer Arts Camp received $5,000.
- Lake Wales Charter Schools – Hillcrest Elementary Parent Engagement Project received $5,000.
- Lakeland Choral Society – Resound Polk received $2,500.
- Lakeland Community Theatre – “Out of the Box” Theatre Troupe for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities received $10,000.
- Lakeland Habitat for Humanity – Keeping Our Veterans/Elderlies From Becoming Homeless received $15,000.
- Lakeland Kiwanis Charitable Foundation – Stuff the Bus 2021 received $2,500.
- Lakeland Volunteers in Medicine – Steps to Good Health received $19,941.25
- Learning Resource Center of Polk County – Camp READY! Lakeland Summer 2021 received $18,066.45
- LifeChoice Pregnancy Resource Center – Earn While You Learn Parenting Program received $5,000.
- Lighthouse for the Blind and Low Vision – I Can Do it Myself! With Early Intervention received $10,000.
- Magnolia Montessori Academy – Pre-School Scholarships received $9,500.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Committee – Help With Books & Tuition for the College Students received $2,000.
- Meals on Wheels of Polk County – Angel Meal Program received $10,000.
- Mulberry Community Service – Meeting Community Needs One Family at a Time received $5,000.
- Museum of Science & Industry – MOSI in Motion Programming for Polk County Title I School received $7,500.
- Narrow Path Outreach – After School and Summer Program received $5,000.
- Options for Women Pregnancy Help Clinic – Community STD Testing Including HIV and Syphilis received $2,000.
- Parker Street Ministries – Summer Workforce Lab for Youth in Under-served Neighborhood received $5,000.
- Peace River Center – Improving Crisis Response for the Community received $13,176.
- Platform Art – Platform Kids 2021/2022 received $10,000.
- Polk County Public Schools – STEAMing It Up at HCE: Promoting Girls and Underserved Populations in STEAM received $15,000.
- Polk County Toys for Tots – Campaign for Polk County received $2,500.
- Polk Education Foundation – Polk Reads: Helping Young Students Become Better Readers received $10,000.
- Polk State College Foundation – Nipping Emergency Situations and Technology Shortfalls (NESTS) Fund received $6,000.
- Randy Roberts Foundation – 2021 Congressional Classroom received $5,000.
- READ Lakeland – Technology in the 21st Century: Transportable Literacy Connection received $1,000.
- Solar and Energy Loan Fund – Rebuilding and Empowering Underserved Communities in Polk County received $5,000.
- Southeastern Guide Dogs – Guide and Service Dog Client Support for Polk County Residents received $5,000.
- SPCA Florida – Lend a Helping Paw received $15,000.
- The Mission of Winter Haven – Feed the Need Initiative received $10,000.
- The Public Education Partnership of Winter Haven – PEP Education Center Online Tutoring and Homework Support Program received $4,000.
- TLC PetSnip – TLC PetSnip Cares and Believes You Should #KeepYourPet received $2,500.
- Tri-County Human Services – Enhancing Good Mental Health Thru Self Care received $10,000.
- Truth Factory – Building Solid Family Foundations received $5,000.
- Warner University – Scholarships for Low-Income Students from Polk County received $5,000.
- Watson Clinic Foundation – Project Thrive: Improving Cancer Patient Health through Arts In Medicine received $4,120.
- Webber International University – Increased Medical & Counseling Services for Students received $5,000.
- West Central Florida Fellowship of Christian Athletes – Community Ministry Project HERE (Hope, Encouragement, Reconciliation, Empowerment) received $2,500.
- Women’s Resource Center of Florida – Independence Program: Access Success! received $5,000.
- YMCA of West Central Florida – Safety Around Water: Kindergarten Learn to Swim Program received $20,000.
- Youth for Christ of Polk County – Summer Camps with “At-Risk Youth” in Polk County received $15,000.
Overview of Impact Polk 2021
Grants By Type:
Health & Human Services
Arts & Culture